On 26 August 2015, the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory resolved to establish an Anti-Corruption Integrity and Misconduct Commission.
To support the establishment of this commission, Mr Brian Martin AO QC has been appointed to inquire into and report to the Administrator of the Northern Territory on the following matter:
The establishment of an independent anti-corruption body in the Northern Territory, including but not limited to the following considerations:
- the principles and provisions of Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) and like legislation in other Australian jurisdictions and their applicability to the Northern Territory; and
- The appropriate powers such a body should have, including but not limited to:
- the power to investigate allegations of corruption, including against Ministers, Members of the Legislative Assembly and other public officials; and
- the power to conduct investigations and inquiries into corrupt activities and system-wide anti-corruption reforms as it sees fit; and
- the appropriate trigger for an NT ICAC’s jurisdiction and the relationship between this body and other NT bodies such as the Ombudsman; and
- models from any other jurisdictions; and
- the use of existing NT legislation or NT statutory authorities.